Sunday 16 September 2012

Velocity Maiden Voyage

Today was Velocity’s maiden voyage.

Who or what is Velocity, you ask? Well, Velocity is the model name of my new-to-me kayak, which I bought yesterday from Paul Lewis… a competitive kayaker/canoeist (see Custom Walking Stick post, dated August 12, 2012 for more about Paul). Paul sells a few kayaks and canoes, and particularly suggested the Sun Velocity for me, given my size, experience, intended use. And Paul was correct in his choice; Velocity fits and suits me perfectly (thanks Paul).

As noted by the Great Canadian Canoe and Kayak Company, the Velocity is “an expert's kayak that is beginner friendly… the best crossover kayak ever made for both touring and river running. The revolutionary hull design makes the Velocity both faster and more maneuverable than other kayaks of its length. Entry level paddlers can get started with an efficient design that is stable, comfortable and predictable. When your skills improve and are ready to push the envelope (quicker rivers up to class III whitewater, multi-day backcountry treks, coastal paddle trails, or ocean surfing) the capabilities of the Velocity won't let you down.”

Today, I joined several friends for a brief paddling jaunt in Volgers Cove. At first, I didn’t seem to track well, but I soon became accustomed to the power of my new, 240cm, wood paddle and mastered the ability to keep the boat straight.

The voyage was short, but very enjoyable. I look forward to venturing on the waters again soon, and am happy that I have many friends to join in paddling adventures.

Here are some useful links for kayaking in Nova Scotia:
Canoe Kayak Nova Scotia
Nova Scotia Sea Kayak Routes
Paddle Lunenburg-Queens
Nova Scotia Boat Ramp Locations
Transport Canada Sea Kayaking Safety Guide





No comments: